Wednesday 9 April 2014

Getting Inspired With Your Riding

As in any sport, in horse- back riding you go through periods where nothing seems to be going right, and your desire to get out of the house and go ride decreases by the day. We have all been there whether we want to admit it or not. And dealing with what once was (and sometimes still is) a hyperactive and egocentric Thoroughbred mare, I have gone through this stage of self- doubt way to many times to count. But thankfully, at least for me, I always seem to pull myself out stronger than before. Believe me, it does get better! Here are some of my ways to get out of that riding slump, get yourself back to looking forward to your time spent at the barn, and re- inspire yourself to improve your riding:

1. Switch Up Your Rides
If you find yourself dreading being stuck in the dark confinement of the indoor arena at night, try riding outside on a nice sunny day! This is of course difficult when it is winter, or especially if your job keeps you from riding during the day or on weekends, but believe me just that odd hack around the field on a sunny spring day can do wonders for your sanity. I used to always find myself dreading night rides during the school year, but in the summer I lived for being able to do some schooling during the daylight! I have no idea why, but it seemed to make me (and Niall's!) much happier!

2. Watch the Pro's 
This is my biggest form of personal equestrian inspiration. You can learn so much from watching the professionals do their thing, whether that is online through a live stream of a competition or going to watch a grand prix in person, seeing people that compete at the highest level I find truly inspiring. Don't just enjoy a good round of show jumping, but study their riding style.. what do they do that you could adapt that may help your effectiveness as a rider? How does their horse go? What are they doing right, compared to what are you doing wrong and need to fix? All these questions can be answered from watching experienced riders simply ride. And of course, I think there's that small desire in everyone to get to that high level, and watching it in person may spark that flame a little more!

3. Talk to Your Trainer 
This is an important one; in a sport where communication is key (between horse and your support team on the ground), being on the same page as your coach or trainer is a huge must. If you find yourself struggling with an aspect of riding, or you simply feel as everything is falling apart- arrange a time to have a short meeting with your trainer about these issues. If they truly care about you and your horse, they will be with you 110% to help, wether that be going back to the basics or maybe trying out a new bit. If your trainer doesn't know you want, and need, some extra help, ask them for some! Your improvement as a rider and horse person is what they are there to build in the first place!

4. Love the Sport 
Equestrianism is a physically and emotionally demanding sport, and when going through a rough patch you have to have that dedication to get though it, no matter how long that may take. Passion and dedication is the most important thing when taking that step towards moving out of that rough stage. If theres no passion, you wont be willing to stick with it. Simple. I've stuck through all the bad times in my riding career simply because I have a huge love for this sport and the horses. I love it, and that is what gets me through. Have a serious talk with yourself, or maybe even take a short brake to figure things out. If you start telling yourself you're crazy for wanting to quit, then you are- don't quit! In a sport that has as much ups and downs as ours, you need that drive. Passion is a necessity.
post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment